top of page
Sweet Briar Gin and Sweet Briar Hall.jpg

Sweetbriar Hall

Sweetbriar Hall is a half-timbered, Grade II listed mansion house in Hospital Street; numbers 65-67. The hall has an early Elizabethan exterior. It is one of the few buildings to survive the great fire of Nantwich in 1583, which destroyed the adjacent buildings entirely.

The hall was built for the Woodhey branch of the Wilbraham family. The original date is probably 15th century, and the hall is often considered the oldest half-timbered building in the town not to have been encased in brick.

By the mid 20th century, Sweetbriar Hall had fallen into a state of dilapidation. The hall was restored in the 1960s by James Edleston and is still in use today.

Scientist and philosopher Joesph Priestley is believed to have occupied Sweetbriar Hall from 1758 to 1761, opening a school within the building.

At the back of Sweetbriar Hall is a red brick building (dating from around 1701) which some think was the school. The building bears his name today...

Our natural pink gin, Sweet Briar, is a nod to Sweetbriar Hall and Joseph Priestley's scientific contributions. You'll notice that the number 38 is present on the label - this refers to the alcohol by volume percentage, as opposed to Sweetbriar Hall's location. The gin also refers to wild bramble thickets, with a subtle link to herbalist John Gerard's love of roses.


Read more:

bottom of page